Pod2g and Chronic Dev team has just released Absinthe 2.0 – iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak.
In this guide, we will take you through the step by step procedure to jailbreak your device running iOS 5.1.1 using Absinthe for both Mac and Windows users.
Here are some important points to note before you proceed.
- Absinthe 2.0 performs an untethered jailbreak
- Please do not forget to backup your device to iCloud or iTunes before you proceed.
- Please ensure you’ve updated iTunes to the latest version
- Absinthe 2.0 is compatible with only iOS 5.1.1, so if you’re on iOS 5.1 or lower (Settings -> General -> About – Version), then you should update your device to iOS 5.1.1 either using iTunes or using the OTA software update before proceeding further. (OTA does not work on jailbroken devices)
- Please note that jailbreaking your device may void your warranty and hence proceed with caution and at your own risk
Step 1: Download Absinthe from our Downloads page.
Step 2: Double click the Absinthe zip file and extract the application to the Absinthe folder (Windows users). Navigate back to the Absinthe folder and launch the Absinthe application.
Windows users: Please launch the application as an Administrator. Right Click on the Absinthe exe and select the “Run as Administrator” option.
Step 3: After launching Absinthe, you will be prompted to connect your device
Step 4: Please disable the passcode as the jailbreak may fail, if the passcode is enabled (Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock On -> Turn Passcode Off).
Step 5: Absinthe should detect your device and also mention the iOS firmware that is running on it. Click on the Jailbreak button.
After clicking on the Jailbreak button the tool will give a progress update on the various stages of the jailbreak process such as:
“Beginning jailbreak, this may take a while …”
“Sending initial jailbreak data. This may also take a while…”
“Sending initial jailbreak data.Your device will appear to be restoring a backup, this may take a while…”
“Waiting for reboot … not done yet, don’t unplug your device yet!”
“Waiting for process to complete… ”
Step 6: In the end you’ll be prompted with the message informing you “Done Enjoy”. You can close Absinthe application. The entire process will take 5 to 10 minutes.
That’s it, your device should be successfully jailbroken and you should see the Cydia icon on the Home screen (it may not be on the first page so search for it to locate it).
Stay tuned with us for more info at iOS Jedi Blog or join our Facebook fan page or Follow us on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feeds or connect with us on our Freenode-IRC channel for any iOS question you have.